Italian Beef Sandwiches: Deliciously seasoned italian beef, peppers, onions, mushrooms and melted provolone cheese on warm toasted ciabatta.
This recipe is also very versatile, besides sandwiches, you can use it for tacos or nachos as well. Just serve a side of warm tortillas or chips, queso, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yum!
The beef takes about 3 hours to cook, so make sure to allow enough time for cooking. I usually cook the beef the day before, allowing it to soak up even more flavor overnight in the fridge.
If your cooking it the day before, go ahead and shred the meat. The pour the remaining juices and over it and chill overnight in the fridge. Then it only takes about 20 minutes or so to heat through when ready to use. Serve on warm, toasted ciabatta rolls with sauteed or grilled onions, peppers and mushrooms and cheese.
Looking for the perfect side dish for these yummy Italian Beef Sandwiches? Check out this Warm Green Bean and Fingerling Potato Salad with Caramelized Shallots and Crispy Bacon or this Lemon Basil Pasta Salad With English Peas . Yum!
- Always brown your meat before roasting. Browning adds more flavor and depth of flavor
- Deglaze the pan. Those little browned bits on the bottom of the pan that are left after browning the meat, That’s Flavor!
- Deglaze with wine for more depth of flavor and a bit of acidity.
- Don’t let those bits burn, then you are left with bitter flavor.
- Use good quality ingredients. Your recipe is only as good as the ingredients that you use. Better ingredients, better flavor
- I try to use grass fed beef whenever possible. It tastes better and is higher in nutrients then grain fed beef, and it’s leaner.
Deliciously seasoned italian beef, peppers, onions, mushrooms and melted provolone cheese on warm toasted ciabatta.
- 2 pound beef chuck roast
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 jar pepperoncini, stems removed (16 ounce) including juice
- 1 teaspoon italian herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, julienne
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 6 mini sweet peppers, julienne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Ciabatta Rolls
- 12 slices provolone
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a bowl, mix together garlic, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Rub mixture all over roast to coat. Sear meat on all sides in a dutch oven (or oven safe pan) over medium high heat, browning on all sides. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil and chopped onion into the pan. Saute until lightly browned. Deglaze the pan with the wine and reduce until almost gone. Place the seared meat back in the pan.
Add beef broth, pepperoncini and italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Cover and place into the preheated oven. Cook about 3 hours until meat is fall apart tender. shred meat and serve.
In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onions mushrooms and peppers. Saute' until lightly browned and tender. Set aside
Split the ciabatta buns in half and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Toast in the oven. top each side with a slice of the cheese and put back in the oven until just melted.
Remove from the oven and top the bottom half with the Italian beef and then add the peppers, onions and mushrooms mixture. place the top top on and enjoy!
The section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!