Peanut Butter Bars! Who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate? Yum! Now that Thanksgiving weekend has passed, it’s time to get in that holiday baking mode.
Have you started baking yet? I decided to start out with this simple recipe, just to get me in the baking mood. Hahaha, actually, I was just craving a yummy peanut butter and chocolate treat.
And these little taste treats, totally hit the spot! Peanut butter and chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combinations. I would never turn down a Reese’s or peanut butter m&ms. It just wouldn’t be right!
I came across this recipe in the cookbook A Taste Of Oregon. I just love this cookbook! It is full of really great recipes that are simple to make.
I did make a couple of simple changes to the recipe, though. The original recipe called for chocolate chips (which usually refers to semi-sweet) and I used milk chocolate chips. I also sprinkled some chopped nuts on top, for added crunch and eye appeal.
Oh, and I used a tad more chocolate than the original recipe called for. Because, um, it’s chocolate! Yum! Who doesn’t love more chocolate!? Right?!
Anyway, here’s my updated version of the recipe. Hope you enjoy! It’s Yummy!
Peanut Butter Bars
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 10 ounces milk chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts or mixed nuts
- Cream 1/2 cup peanut butter, butter and sugars together. Add egg and vanilla. Add all dry ingredients, blending well. Spread dough into a buttered 9x13-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Let stand 5 minutes, then spread the chocolate chips to cover the bars.
- Combine powdered sugar, peanut butter and milk, adding enough milk to make a thin consistency. Drizzle over chocolate layer. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Cut into bars for serving.