For this Pear and Cranberry Strudel, buttery puffed pastry is filled with fresh pears, dried cranberries and sweet spices then topped with sliced almonds.
Strudel makes a great alternative or addition to the traditional pies and cakes served on your holiday dessert table. And it’s one of the easiest to make.
Filled with fresh ripe pears, cranberries and warm sweet spices, it just tastes like the holidays! This makes a great dessert for Thanksgiving and all of the way through the new year.
Cut it up into smaller pieces if you are serving it at a cocktail party or on a holiday buffet. Make sure to have some freshly whipped cream on the side! Yum!
I like to serve up a nice selection of little sweet bites for my holiday parties. Try these Pecan Pie Bars or make some little cookies and tarts to round out your dessert selection.
Pear and Cranberry Strudel
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 3 pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- pinch salt
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- powdered sugar, for dusting the top of finished pastry
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay out puff pastry sheets onto a parchment lined sheet pan.
- In a bowl add diced pears, dried cranberries, sugar, spices and lime juice. Stir to combine. Add melted butter and flour and stir well to combine.
- Spoon pear mixture down the center of puff pastry sheet, dividing evenly among the two sheets.
- Cut 12 slices down each side of pastry and fold over filling in a criss cross pattern
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk together. Brush egg wash over the top of the pastry and them sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20-22 minutes. Remove from oven to cool. Once cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut each pastry into 5 slices. Serve with fresh whipped cream.