Taco Tuesdays would not be complete without a delicious, fresh guacamole. And Pico De Gallo. Since you are already making fresh salsa, why not use it to make your guacamole as well.
Two birds, one stone, Right?!? When i’m cooking I like to make things that have multiple uses. Not only does it make cooking easier and less time consuming (because, who wants to spend more time in the kitchen after a long day at work?), but it also helps prevent waste.
Don’t get me started on the food waste thing! Lol! Anyway, back to the guacamole recipe. First, prepare the Pico De Gallo using the recipe below.
Then, take the avocados and cut them in half. Remove and discard the seed. Scoop out the flesh into a large bowl with a spoon.
Add 1 cup of the pico de gallo to the bowl with the avocados, be sure to include some of the juice in there as well. Add the garlic and salt. Mash the ingredients together using a potato masher or fork, until well blended but still a bit chunky.
Yep, it’s that easy! And so yummy! If you are making this up ahead of time for a party or have any leftovers, here is a little trick to prevent you guacamole form browning.
Place in a glass bowl (don’t use metal, the acid from the tomatoes and lime will cause it to discolor), cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap is pushed down on the guacamole completely covering it. This will prevent any oxygen from reaching the guacamole, thus preventing browning.
Cover bowl with lid or another piece of plastic and refrigerate until ready to use. You can also place the pit of the avocado into the bowl but I have found that completely covering the top works better.
- 4 medium haas avocados, peeled and seed removed
- 1 cup fresh pico de gallo (see recipe below)
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut avocados in half and remove seed. Scoop out flesh with a spoon into a large bowl. Add pico de gallo (be sure to get some of the liquid too), garlic and salt. Mash ingredients together with a potato masher or fork until well blended but still a little chunky. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve
Pico De Gallo
- 5 each roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 small jalapeno, minced (seeds and stem removed)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- Juice of a lime, about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut washed tomatoes in half crosswise and remove seeds and top. Dice tomatoes into uniform size and place into a large bowl. Add finely diced red onion, minced jalapeno and chopped cilantro. Stir well to combine. Add lime juice and salt and stir until ingredients are well coated. Enjoy