Fall has definitely arrived. That means football, basketball and a big pot of chili! Simple weeknight chili is perfect for a quick weeknight meal or game day get together.
It’s quick and easy to make, so you won’t have to spend hours in the kitchen. But so flavorful and delicious, people will think you did!
I tried several different kinds of beans for this recipe, and my favorite is a combination of pinto and black beans. But, in my photos, I used only pinto beans (which was delicious as well).
To make, heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute’ the onions and garlic until tender. Then add the ground beef to the pan and brown, stirring frequently, until cooked through.
Make sure to use lean ground beef 15% fat or less, otherwise you will need to drain off excess fat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a slow simmer, stirring occasionally, and simmer for about 45 minutes until chili reaches desired thickness.
Ladle chili into bowls and serve with your favorite toppings. For added yumminess, serve alongside a pan of Mom’s Cornbread. Yum!
Grated Cheese, diced tomatoes, avocado or guacamole, diced onions, chopped cilantro, pico de gallo, sour cream, crispy tortilla strips, sliced black olives.
Simple Weeknight Chili
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 15 ounce cans pinto beans or 1 can pinto beans and 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground corriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot or skillet, heat the olive oil and saute' the onions and garlic until soft. Add ground beef, brown, stirring frequently until cooked through. Add tomatoes, broth, beans and seasonings, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until chili thickens to desired consistency. Ladle chili into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. Topping Ideas: Grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, avocado or guacamole, chopped cilantro, Pico de Gallo, crispy tortilla strips.