Mmmmmmm….. Meatballs. Who doesn’t love meatballs? Meatballs are so much more than just ground meat rolled into balls, they are juicy little morsels of love. I mean, think about it, you have to have just the right amount of seasoning, egg, bread crumb, onion, garlic, etc… (in order for them to come out moist, juicy and perfectly seasoned) and then you get in there with your hands carefully blending the ingredients and then rolling each one into perfectly uniform spheres(of love).
It’s no wonder that meatballs are such a popular dish in just about every country around the world, each having their own signature style. Some are grilled and served in flatbread, some are served in flavorful broth or creamy sauce and others just stand alone in their own meatball glory.
My inspiration for these yummy Cambodian BBQ Meatballs came from several different things. First, being that I love meatballs. Second, I had purchased some Bahn Mi meatballs at the meat counter at New Seasons and they were so delicious that I wanted to recreate something similar. Third, I had purchased some Cambodian Lemongrass Curry seasoning at the Savory Spice Shop that I wanted to try out (and the flavors seamed perfect for recreating those New Seasons meatballs).
These Meatballs turned out so yummy and with similar flavor to those that I had purchased at the meat counter. They are absolutely delicious on their own but I wanted to make a sauce (glaze) for them as well. I would describe these meatballs using some Guy Fieri-isms like, these meatballs are “off the hook” and “takin’ a trip to flavor-town”! (No, Guy Fieri didn’t taste my meatballs. Maybe someday) The sauce, more of a glaze, is spicy (not too spicy though), sticky and sweet and the cooling coconut rice paired perfectly bringing the whole dish together. Add some of my Sweet and Sour Quick Pickled Vegetables even more flavor! Yum!
Cambodian BBQ Meatballs
- 1 pound ground pork 20% fat content
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves minced
- 1 each egg
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cambodian lemongrass curry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil incluce some of the pepper flakes
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cambodian lemongrass curry seasoning
Coconut Jasmine Rice
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- to taste kosher salt and pepper
- Rinse rice with 2-3 changes of cold water and drain. Add rice to pan or use rice cooker. Add water and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.If cooking on the stove: Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until done (about 20 minutes) or use package cooking directions,In Rice cooker: Combine all ingredients in rice cooker, close lid, cook using white rice setting.Fluff rice with fork when done and serve.
Gewurztraminer or Reisling
Asian Beer like Tsingtao
Tapping into the flavor of lemongrass and the traditions of Cambodia, we have developed… [More]
Grape Gravy! is a part of affiliate advertising programs, including Amazon Affiliates and Pepperjam Network. This means that if you click and/or make a purchase through certain links on this site or any related social media platforms (including Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest), I may make a commission from that click and/or purchase. All opinions are my own.