This Easy Weeknight Posole is so full of flavor. You would think that it had simmered on the stove all day long. But it actually took under an hour to make!
Oh Posole, how yummy art thou? I remember the first time I tried Posole, it was immediate love for this dish!
A friend had invited me over to show me how to make this wonderful soup from his home country. I am always open to learning new recipes and absolutely love Mexican food so, of course, I said yes!
I was never much of a fan of hominy but after sampling this dish my mind was changed. I had never had a soup quite like this! A warm flavorful broth perfectly seasoned with an earthy chili base, onions, garlic and aromatic spices then topped with a bit crisp cabbage, fresh cilantro, cheese and crumbled crunchy corn tortilla. And the squeeze of fresh lime sent it over the top!
Since this is one of those dishes that can typically take a good portion of the day to make, I decided to create a quicker version (Easy Weeknight Posole), without sacrificing taste, so that it could be enjoyed more often.
I make up a batch of Mexican Adobo Sauce to keep on hand and use this for the chili base of this soup. I also keep packages of pulled pork and pulled chicken in the freezer for quick meals, like this soup. For pork recipe Slow-Cooker Pork Carnitas and chicken Crock-Pot Roasted Chicken check out these links.
Rotisserie chicken or pork carnitas from your local grocery store will work as well. Be careful with the salt though, you probably will need to omit the salt from this recipe or season to taste once recipe is ready to serve.
- 1 small onion julienne
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- olive oil
- 2 cups cooked pulled pork or chicken
- 1 cup Homemade Mexican adobo sauce Mexican Adobo Sauce
- 4 cups good quality chicken broth
- 1-25 ounce can hominy drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- chopped cabbage
- fresh cilantro torn
- cojita cheese crumbled (or your favorite cheese)
- crunchy tortilla strips or crumbled tortilla chips
- fresh lime wedges