Great Northern Bean Salad with Sweet Peppers and Fresh Basil is tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette and topped with parmesan and fresh basil.
I meant to post this recipe a couple of days ago but the week has caught up with me. This salad was made to go with Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken but would be great with any grilled item.
I made this salad with dried beans (1/2 pound) that I soaked overnight , drained and then covered with water seasoned with salt, granulated garlic and a couple of bay leaves. Canned Great Northern Beans will work nicely as well.
GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SALAD WITH SWEET PEPPERS AND FRESH BASIL
- 1/2 pound dried beans cooked or 2 cans beans drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet onion julienne
- 3-4 mini sweet peppers julienne
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Torn fresh basil leaves
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Rinse dried beans and place in a bowl. Cover with cold water and place in the refrigerator to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain and rinse beans. Place in a pan and cover with cold water. Season with a couple generous pinches of kosher salt, 2 bay leaves and about 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic. cook until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add julienne peppers, onions and minced garlic. Cook until soft and a little brown. Add cooled beans, chopped basil, balsamic and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and place in the refrigerator until chilled.
- When ready to serve, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Garnish with washed, fresh torn basil leaves and freshly grated parmesan cheese.