Smokey Pimento Cheese with Fresh Basil Topped with Oven Dried Tomatoes, Field Greens and Crispy Bacon is a delicious twist on a traditional southern favorite.
Summer is finally almost here. With the promise of warm sunny days, many folks are planning summer road trips, camping and picnics.
As a child, anytime we would take a road trip, there was always a picnic basket packed with Pimento Cheese Sandwiches, a jar of sweet pickles or olives and some kind of fruit.
We would load the car up early in the morning and head out towards our destination. There always seemed to be a park on the way with a picnic area right at about lunch time.
Mom would always lay out a tablecloth on the picnic table and then unload the basket of sandwiches, pickles, fruit, iced tea or kool-aid and some cookies or other sweet treat.
To this day, Pimento Cheese always reminds me of summertime road trips and picnics.
On a recent trip to Trader Joe’s, I found some interesting cheeses that I thought would create a fun and unique twist on the traditional Pimento Cheese.
For The Sandwiches:
- Good crusty rustic Italian bread
- Smokey Pimento Cheese
- Oven Dried Tomatoes
- Crisp cooked bacon
- Mixed field greens
Spread a good amount of Pimento Cheese onto bread
Top with oven dried tomatoes. Then some of the field greens and bacon
Top with another slice of bread that has been spread with a bit of mayonnaise.
- 1 cup grated smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated rosemary asiago cheese
- 1 2- ounce jar of diced pimentos
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined.
Oven Dried Tomatoes
- 10 ounce package of san marzano tomatoes or other plum tomatoes
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic Minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper