Home Run! Potato Salad: Yukon gold potatoes, crisp celery, scallions and chopped eggs tossed together in a creamy garlicky mayonnaise dressing.
We are in the midst of baseball season! Who’s your favorite team? I honestly don’t have one, but being only a few hours away from Seattle, I would love to see the Mariners play.
For me, it’s about summer get togethers with friends and sharing yummy food and drinks.
Potato salad has always been a fan favorite to serve at BBQ’s, sporting events, picnics and other summer gatherings.
I was recently asked if I would cater a baseball themed shower in July and this will be one of the items on the menu. Hence the name “home run” potato salad.
I created this simple potato salad a few years back and it always gets rave reviews. I hope you enjoy! Memorial Day weekend is only a few days away.
Home Run Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely minced scallions white and green parts
- 3 hard cooked eggs finely chopped
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise Best foods or Hellman's
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic Not garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Wash potatoes well and cut into uniform sized pieces. Steam potatoes until soft and then lay out on a sheet pan and cool in fridge or freezer. ( I like to steam the potatoes rather than boil because they don't soak up the water and become soggy)
- To cook eggs perfectly, place in a pan of cold water. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn off heat. Let sit covered 10 minutes. Rinse under cold water until cooled. Peel and chop fine.
- Place chopped egg, celery and scallion in a large bowl. Add cooled potatoes. In another bowl whisk together mayonnaise, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. Add to potato mixture and stir to thoroughly combine. Adjust seasonings if needed.