This Warm Green Bean and Fingerling Potato Salad With Caramelized Shallots and Crispy Bacon is the perfect way to transition into spring.
I just love spring! Flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, the air smells fresh from a recent spring shower. And the farmers markets and produce stands are coming back from their winter hibernation.
The produce aisles are abundant with fresh asparagus and crisp green beans. There are baby carrots in a multitude of colors and cute little fingerling potatoes.
I load my basket with the potatoes in colors of red and gold, fresh green beans and some beautiful purple shallots. Then grab a bottle of Pinot Gris to sip while I create my evening meal.
As I unload my bag of treasures I decide a salad would be a nice change from the heartier meals had throughout the winter months.
I served this salad warm but it can be made ahead and served chilled as well. And the crisp Pinot Gris paired nicely.
Serve this warm potato salad with Pinot Noir, Garlic And Peppercorn Roasted Pork Loin or Roasted Chicken.
Warm Green Bean and Fingerling Potato Salad with Caramelized Shallots and Crisp Bacon
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans
- 1 large shallot or 2 smaller ones sliced
- 4 strips bacon 1/4 pound, diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- kosher salt to taste about 1 teaspoon
- fresh ground black pepper to taste about 1/4 teaspoon
- In a bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper and set aside. Wash and steam or boil potatoes until just tender, set aside. Steam or boil green beans until tender-crisp, set aside. In a saute" pan cook bacon until crisp. remove from pan (reserve grease) and lay out on paper towel to soak up excess grease. Add shallots to pan with bacon grease and cook until brown and caramelized but not burnt. remove shallots from pan and lay out on paper towels to soak up any excess grease. Cut warm potatoes into chunks and place in a bowl. Cut warm green beans in half and place in the bowl with the potatoes. Add shallots and bacon. Pour dressing over all and toss to coat. adjust seasonings and serve.