Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas taste just like you slow roasted it in the oven,tender and juicy and is so easy to make.
Who doesn’t love taco’s???? I think that if I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one food choice for the rest of my life, I would probably choose tacos!
I don’t think that i’ve met a taco I didn’t like. Whether it be simple ground beef taco or grilled shrimp with mango salsa, it’s all good. I think that my most favorite of all, though, would have to be carnitas.
While working in my last kitchen job, I had the pleasure of learning from an amazing cook named Pedro. He showed me recipes that he learned from his Grandmother, for salsa, guacamole, chipotle chicken, refried beans and, my favorite, Carnitas.
He would cook the Carnitas in the oven, at a low temperature, overnight, resulting in the most tender and juicy carnitas ever! I have adapted the recipe to be made in the slow cooker.
Place chopped onion in slow cooker.
Combine minced garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil.
Rub mixture all over roast to coat. place roast in slow cooker on top of onions
Combine orange juice, cola and liquid smoke. Pour liquid over roast. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 5 hours.
After 5 hrs, break meat apart into chunks so that it is submerged in the cooking liquid. replace lid and continue cooking on for another hour or two.
Shred meat with fork. Serve with corn or flour tortillas and your favorite toppings. Enjoy! Don’t forget the margaritas!
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- 5-5 1/2 pound bone-in pork shoulder blade roast
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup cola made with real sugar Mexican coca cola or pepsi
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- PLACE CHOPPED ONION IN SLOW COOKERCOMBINE MINCED GARLIC, SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.RUB MIXTURE ALL OVER ROAST TO COAT. PLACE ROAST IN SLOW COOKER ON TOP OF ONIONSCOMBINE ORANGE JUICE, COLA AND LIQUID SMOKE. POUR LIQUID OVER ROAST. PLACE LID ON SLOW COOKER AND COOK ON HIGH FOR 5 HOURS.AFTER 5 HRS, BREAK MEAT APART INTO CHUNKS SO THAT IT IS SUBMERGED IN THE COOKING LIQUID. REPLACE LID AND CONTINUE COOKING ON FOR ANOTHER HOUR OR TWO. SHRED MEAT WITH FORK. SERVE WITH CORN OR FLOUR TORTILLAS AND YOUR FAVORITE TOPPINGS. ENJOY!